On this pumpkin season why not create a beautiful naked cake? Normally the typical dessert of this season is the pumpkin pie, however if you want to create something original and beautiful you can try to use the basics of the pumpkin pie recipe and adapt it to the recipe of a standard vanilla “naked cake”.
“Naked cakes” are those that do not have frosting, butter cream or fondant covering theme, you see the inside of the cake and the filling right away. These cakes are now a trend and i have to say that is is much less work for the baker and they look very beautiful and natural.
Well here is the step to step tutorial to create your beautiful naked spice cake, I hope you like it.
1 Box of Vanilla Cake Mix
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp nutmeg
1 tbsp cinammon
1/2 tbsp cloves
1 medium size pumpkin
1 cup of powdered sugar
- Mix the cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg to create the pumpkin spice. Separately start cooking the pumpkin in boiling water until its soft.
2. Follow the steps to bake the vanilla cake from the box. Bake the cake and leave it on the mold for 10 minutes to cool off.
3. Once the vanilla cake is cooled off, cut the cake carefully into 3 horizontal layers.
4. Once your pumpkin is cooked and soft, place it in the blender to smash it together with the skin. Place the smashed pumpkin in a sieve so take the exiding water away.
5. Mix together with the pumpkin spices (cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg).
6. Add the powdered sugar to the mix to make thicker and perfect to use as a filling..
7. On each layer of the cake add some of the pumpkin filling, repeat on each layer.
8. Once all the layers have filling, place them on the base of the cake one on top of the other. I used some thin plastic bases and some thick white bases to make the cake look larger.
9. Add the rest of the powdered sugar to decorate the cake and the cake base to cover the imperfections.
Your cake is ready! Enjoy.